Saturday 7th July...Draw at Wigan

This weekend, we must thank all groundsmen and helpers who have made our grounds playable after the rain of the previous week which came to a head on Friday. Particular thanks go to our own Rob Jobson.

The First XI travelled to Wigan and were unable to start until 3:30pm as the ground dried out. Wigan won the toss and asked Sefton to bat first, a decision that seemed totally justified with the score on 57 for 7 but a stand of 79 for the 8th wicket between skipper Phil Calrow who scored 34 and Daniel Kelly who went on to score 54 not out enabled them to declare on 161 for 3 in the 50th over. In reply Wigan started well and at 88 for 1 looked to be in a strong position but the introduction of Peter Kelly in to the attack saw him take 5 wickets for 7 runs in 11 balls and Wigan requiring 57 runs in 5 overs with 4 wickets left. Two wickets fell to Daniel Kelly who finished with 3 for 25 as the home side settled for a drawn finishing on 139 for 8 in 23 overs.

The Second XI played Leigh at Sefton Park in a game that lost 20 minutes at the start. Leigh won the toss and decided to bat, going on to score 151 for the first wicket and declaring on 209 for 5 in 45 overs. Hamid Khan was the pick of the Sefton bowlers with 4 for 54. In reply, Sefton opened with a stand of 111 between Rob Supria (58) and Luke Connolly (50). A rain delay that cost 6 overs made Sefton's task more difficult and with Hamid Khan being caught for 33 off the last ball of the day going for a six, they finished on 204 for 8 in 39 overs, Jason Marsh with 27 was the next scorer in the drawn game.
Rob Supria
Skipper Rob Supria scored 58 for the Second XI in their home game against Leigh
The Third XI played Ormskirk's Thirds on the Lower Ground. The visitors won the toss and asked Sefton to bat first, John Davies (69) and Ted Williams (47) were the top scorers in their total of 174 all out in 42 overs. Ormskirk reply never really got going and they were dismissed for 96 with Ted Williams taking 4 for 16, Robin Brown 3 for 6 and George Lee 2 for 10.
John Davies
John Davies kept up his good form with an innings of 69 for the Third XI at home to Ormskirk's Thirds

The Fourth XI travelled to Caldy to play their Fourth XI. Caldy won the toss and asked Sefton to bat. They scored 175 for 9 declared in 41 overs with Matty Kuypers scoring 68, Ed Booth 36 and Eddie McShane 20. Caldy's reply saw a remarkable spell of bowling from Terry Macklin who at one time had taken 4 wickets for 0 runs and finished with 6 for 9, Naj Ahmed took 2 for 18 as Caldy were dismissed for 48.

The Fifth XI game at Liverpool College was called off as the ground was flooded.

Sunday 8th July...Second XI in to the Chester Cup Semis

The Second XI beat New Brighton in the quarter finals of the Chester Cup. New Brighton won the toss and decided to bowl first. An excellent knock of 78 by Jason Marsh and 35 from Paul Eastham enabled Sefton to reach 209 all out in the 42nd over. There were worries that this total may be a few runs short but fine bowling by all the Sefton bowlers enabled them to dismiss New Brighton for 144 in the 39th over. The main wicket takers were Hamid Khan (2 for 29), Joe Roddis (3 for 5) and Jason Marsh (2 for 20). Sefton now travel to Sutton St Helens or Colwyn Bay in the semis.

Saturday 14th July...Win at Formby

The First XI travelled to Formby, won the toss and asked the home side to bat first. The home side put on 46 for the first wicket but in a spell of just 4 overs David Baird took 3 for 19, Sefton began to take control. Peter Kelly was then brought in to the attack and for the second week running, he finished with 5 wickets, taking 5 for 32, Formby were dismissed for 132. Sefton's reply was steady and thanks to an innings of 60 from Shane Dowrich, they looked to be heading for a comfortable victory at 109 for 3. A small collapse then followed but they made it over the line after losing 7 wickets. Chris Bellis was next highest scorer with 23.

The Second XI played Wallasey at Sefton Park. Sefton won the toss and decided to bat first. After losing skipper Rob Supria for 32, they collapsed from 50 for 1 to 92 for 7. A stand of 37 between Iain Squires (42 not out) and Alex Miller (15) for the eighth wicket enabled them to reach an all out total of 135. Sefton needed to strike quickly as Wallasey began their reply and this they did as there opening attack of leg spinner Mark Chappell and Joe Roddis saw the visitors at 22 for 5. A small recovery then followed but they were all out for 112 in the 37th over, Mark Chappell finishing with 5 for 32 and Joe Roddis 3 for 46.

Iain Squires  
Iain Squires made the top score for the Second XI, scoring 42 not out in their home win over Wallasey

No game for the Third XI this week.

The Fourth XI played Northern's Fifths on the Lower Ground. Sefton won the toss and decided to bat first. They declared on 223 for 6 in 45 overs with Matty Kuyers scoring 89, Phil McEvoy 51 and Robin Surtees 32 not out. In reply Northern looked to be getting behind the clock at one stage but recovered to require 6 off the last over, they managed just 2 and the game finished as a draw with Northern on 220 for 6, Terry Macklin took 2 for 34

Matt Kuypers  
Matty Kuypers scored 89 for the Fourth XI in their home draw against Northern's Fifth XI on the Lower Ground.
The Fifth XI drew their game at Birkenhead Park's Fourths. Put in to bat, Sefton declared on 207 for 9 with Abdul Rehman (50), D Coonan (54) and Jon Fretwell (62) being the top scorers. In reply Birkenhead Park reached 190 for 8 in 46 overs. Andy Crossley took 3 for 26