<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> Saturday 23rd August 2014...Defeat at Formby

Saturday 23rd August...Defeat at Formby

The First XI's battle against relegation continued as they travelled to Formby. The home side won the toss and decided to bat first, Formby's biggest stand was 41 for the seventh wicket as they declared on 167 for 9 in 50 overs. Jerome Jones finished with 4 for 51 and Daniel Kelly 3 for 61 in an opening spell of 17 overs. The early declaration meant that Sefton had time to achieve a victory but things did not start well and they were struggling at 68 for 5 despite a good innings of 25 from Luke Connolly. There, then, followed a stand of 54 for the sixth wicket between Jerome Jones (27) and James Baird (35) but with the score on 122 three wickets fell in one over, the third of which, James Baird was run out. The first ball of the next over saw Peter Kelly bowled. So from what looked a winning position, Sefton were 122 for 9 with 15 overs left. Robin Brown on his First XI debut joined Dave Hort in the middle and they put on another 28 runs before Dave Hort was dismissed for 25 and Sefton all out for 150 in 48.4 overs.

Following Orrell Red Triangle's win at home to Wavertree, Sefton drop back into the the bottom two, 4 points behind Orrell. Next week Sefton travel to Ainsdale and Orrell Red Triangle make the short trip to Wigan.

The Second XI were at home to Maghull. Sefton won the toss and decided to bat first. They declared on 175 for 7 in 45 overs with Michael Row scoring 41 on his Second XI debut, Andy Dickinson scored 34 and Dan Coonan 57 not out. Maghull's reply was fairly slow at first as Sefton struggled for wickets but they picked up the pace and with 3 overs left needed 13 to win. In the end, they finished one run short on 174 for 6 in 44 overs. Andy Foulder finished with 2 for 33.
Andy Dickinson  
Andy Dickinson scored 34 for the Second XI in their home draw with Maghull
The Third XI game at Northern and the Fourth XI game at home to Goodlass were both called off because of the weather. There was no Fifth XI game