Sefton Park

In the 1860's 387 acres of land were purchased by Liverpool council to create Sefton Park. Later 110 acres of land were sold to offset the cost of land and laying out of the park.

In 1866 there was a competition to design the park with a first prize of 300 guineas and second prize of 150 guineas. 29 entries were received varying in cost from £13,000 to £158,000.

The winner was a combined entry of Frenchman Edouard Andre and Lewis Hornblower from Liverpool. Hornblower was responsible for construction of buildings and Andre for the landscape design.Many of the features in the design were never to appear, but the lake and stream systems, the cricket ground , plantations and rockwork were completed almost the same as the original plan. It was soon realised that the original cost of £85,000 was far too low and an estimate of £250,000 became more realistic. The park was completed at a reduced scale for £147,000.

 

The original plan for Sefton Park shows the Cricket Ground on the top left.
The Park was opened on 20th May 1872 by HRH Prince Arthur. He left the Town Hall in a mile long procession of 77 carriages containing dignatories and guests to be greeted by a grandstand crowded with 4,000 people.

Sefton Park became the home of Sefton Cricket Club, Mersey Bowmen and Sefton Park Bowling Club.

 
The Lake